Skip to main content

Early Treatment Expenses for Motor Vehicle Accidents

Many people don’t realise the NSW green slip insurance scheme provides some limited no-fault treatment benefits. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW you should complete an Accident Notification Form and lodge with the insurer of the vehicle you believe to be at fault.

So long as this form is lodged with the insurer within 28 days of the date of the accident you should be covered for up to $5,000 of reasonably necessary treatment expenses and loss of earnings arising from injuries suffered in the accident regardless of who was at fault. If the Insurer agrees to make these payments it is not viewed as an admission of liability and you would still need to lodge a formal claim form within six months of the date of the accident to pursue a claim for damages.

To complete the Accident Notification Form you will need to consult your GP and have them complete a medical certificate attached to the form. You will also need to have reported the accident to the Police and to have received an Event Number.

If you need any assistance we are here to help. Allan Cowley is a Law Society Accredited Specialist in personal injury law with a special interest in motor vehicle claims. He is an acknowledged authority in the area and regularly speaks at legal conferences on the Motor Accident Compensation Act and the claims process. Allan can be contacted on 1300 277 000.